Janet Leach Pot

Go down

Janet Leach Pot

Post  TimCaulton on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:58 am

Well some of you might have seen me going on and on about this pot, anyway just thought I would go on and on a bit more. The auction was for a vase, with a rather earthy looking texture...reserve was $10 but the makers mark was not shown. Anyway I had in on my watch list as someone had asked a question which I guessed would be the mark question, so I waited and one day the mark was put on......instantly recognised the marks as that of St Ives and Janet Leach....helps if you already have an example inhand.....So there I was thinking nobody would notice this auction....why would they its just another pot on trademe.....well that didn't happen and it was like the whole world was watching and waiting to bid. Looked at some of the bidders and thought I didn't have a chance but in the end I got lucky. The vase is just like one in the book "Art of the Modern Potter" by Tony Birks 1976..its a tree truck vase image 118 page 117. Made using a slab of clay not thrown...red clay body, white glaze....bit of rock in the clay.....perfect. Anyway what a find on trademe, completly unexpected and a bargin price too. Get to know your marks people you never no what you might find. Check out the auction sometime : http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=158888854

Male Number of posts : 1073
I collect or have an interest in: : Len Castle Ceramics
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Janet Leach Pot

Post  laurie on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:16 am

I had a look for images of Janet Leach pots online - never thought of checking one of my books and I have that one so will get it out. I recognised the mark too. I have a few St Ives pieces, also some Winchcombe bowls but all cost only a few dollars as i dare not....or should I ? Ooh - I just want to hunt and find - it is such fun. Well done Tim!
laurie

Female Number of posts : 26
I collect or have an interest in: : I collect NZ studio and commercial pottery, also retro objects and books on art.
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  golden_kiwi on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:31 am

I wouldn't have had any idea-yep call me clueless lol! Better get reading all your posts study
golden_kiwi

Female Number of posts : 44
I collect or have an interest in: : Wade, SylvaC, Titian, CL & lots of other random things!
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post  collectiques on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:54 am

The girls were chatting last night about your fantastic buy Tim...congrats ..awesome find...now I've read up on Janet Leach a bit ...wouldnt it be quite rare to find a piece of hers here in NZ? alien
collectiques

Female Number of posts : 1570
I collect or have an interest in: : Learning new things - General hoarder / dealer of Retro, NZ Pottery & Collectables-
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  TimCaulton on Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:13 am

collectiques wrote:The girls were chatting last night about your fantastic buy Tim...congrats ..awesome find...now I've read up on Janet Leach a bit ...wouldnt it be quite rare to find a piece of hers here in NZ? alien

I guess it wouldn't be something you came across much, but some shops did stock UK studio pots back in the day. I'm not really sure, bet there are all sorts of goodies out there in storage just waiting to be found....this pot was in storage, still has its original spiderwebs in side.

Back to top Go down

Post  ev on Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:22 am

Do you have your prize already Big Boy Tim?
I love seeing an auction with a low reserve go rampant ....
it happens every week Very Happy
ev

Female Number of posts : 351
I collect or have an interest in: : Studio pottery and the history of New Zealand Pottery
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  TimCaulton on Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:59 am

Yep Yep I was on the phone to the seller about 5 mins after the finish, picked it up yesterday.....and got 9 daffy bulbs just started to sprout so now I have a vase to put them in. flower

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down