Crown Lynn art today

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Crown Lynn art today

Post  Guest on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:13 am

A number of contemporary NZ artists use Crown Lynn pieces or imagery in their work, Rodney Fumpston and Michael Parekowhai amongst them. One group which has being incorporating Crown Lynn in its work for some years is opshop:

http://www.opshop.co.nz/pages/crownlynn/crownlynncover.html

The group owned the Crown Lynn Potteries company name from 1995 to 2007 and produced a range of work based on CLP products. More recently they've produced a set of tea towels that can be seen at:

http://rudolfboelee.blogspot.com/2008/08/crown-lynn-new-zealand-tea-towels_24.html

Back to top Go down

Re: Crown Lynn art today

Post  collectiques on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:28 pm

Interesting info Tony - I keep getting their info coming up on my google alerts and for a very long time OPshop meant nothing to me...lol

I think they still have the registered "Crown Lynn New Zealand Ltd" name -not the Crown Lynn Potteries Ltd - just did a quick search to confirm.

I do wonder how those artists and other people using pieces for their own work (theres another lady who repaints Crown Lynn dinnerware and sells them etc get on using the company name legally ...granted its a NZ icon but I'd have thought they'd be restricted on using the brand name. I guess not ... ?

collectiques

Female Number of posts : 1570
I collect or have an interest in: : Learning new things - General hoarder / dealer of Retro, NZ Pottery & Collectables-
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:39 pm

I think brand name or copyright issues would apply if people were misrepresenting what they were making. Ceramco let the Crown Lynn Potteries company name lapse in 1993, Opshop re-registered it in 1995 and then sold it in early 2007.

Anything Opshop made in that period could have legitimately been called a Crown Lynn Potteries product. As Jo says Opshop still owns Crown Lynn New Zealand Limited. Ironically more recently a band has taken the Opshop name and logo as their own.

I also think that that artists that use their own photos of or make copies of Crown Lynn products in different media aren't attempting to pass their works off as Crown Lynn. There is a man who makes toki pendants out of CLP plates, someone who makes circular badges and the woman who paints or prints words on plates but I think that unless they're claiming Crown Lynn produced them they're OK.

Paul Dibble has made a sculpture featuring what looks to be a copy of a handpotted piece and I've seen a photo of a large NZR cup and saucer called "Tribute to Crown Lynn". Google image search brings up interesting uses of Crown Lynn pieces.

Years ago on a Keith Murray fan site I saw Shufflebottom designed pieces recorded in the "Fakes" section which I thought was a little harsh.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:15 am

I just spotted on TradeMe Crown Lynn mugs decorated by Catherine Anselmi (item 172950471). She purchased equipment from the closure auction, employed at least one ex-CLP staffer and may have also bought a job lot of mugs.

Back to top Go down

Post  collectiques on Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:32 am

Yes she definitely decorated a few CL mugs as I've come across quite a few of them over the last couple of years. Very Happy

collectiques

Female Number of posts : 1570
I collect or have an interest in: : Learning new things - General hoarder / dealer of Retro, NZ Pottery & Collectables-
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Back to top Go down

Keith Murray fan site

Post  funho1 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:00 am

Hi Toni I also saw that comment about the Shufflebottoms being "fake" on the Keith Murray website - then that website vanished completely. Do you know if that website has been renamed - I cannot find it by googling so it seems deleted which is a pity because it had lots of information. Cheers Peter
funho1

Male Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Keith Murray fan site

Post  Guest on Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:29 am

Hi Peter

It must have shifted. You can get to it via:

http://www.keithmurray.net/

or directly to the Imitations/Fakes page:

http://www.btinternet.com/~mike595/fakes.htm

You're right about the site being packed with information, Tony

Back to top Go down

keith murray webpage

Post  funho1 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:15 pm

Thanks Tony. I cannot find anything via keithmurray.net but through the 'fake' link I can find all the content - just cannot find a new 'home' page. Maybe the fan has closed his webpage but left the content floating on the internet ... ? Anyway thanks - I have seen it again ! Cheers Peter
funho1

Male Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post  truk10 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:50 am

Years ago on a Keith Murray fan site I saw Shufflebottom designed pieces recorded in the "Fakes" section which I thought was a little harsh.

That's a bit harsh - the Shufflebotton vases are listed in a section called "Design Similarities" with the vases from a range of other companies that collectors could accidently confuse with Keith Murray designs. There's no suggestion that they are fakes.
truk10
Editor - Keith Murray

Male Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top