titian bailer or other

View previous topic View next topic Go down

titian bailer or other

Post  journeystone on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:16 am

one sold recently on TM a plain version. there was debate as to its origin, this one has the words night staff ashtray along with made in NZ, with the sig of E W perhaps. its nice anyway but i would like to find out. hopefully the pics loaded

journeystone

Number of posts : 41
I collect or have an interest in: : SOVEREIGN WARE, CARLTONWARE, MAORIANA, KIWIANA, CROWNLYNN, NZ POTTERY & STUDIO ANNA
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

added

Post  journeystone on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:44 am

The photos dont do this justice at all, I,m taking the pics with communicator, now if i could just find my cameracable
journeystone

I collect or have an interest in: : SOVEREIGN WARE, CARLTONWARE, MAORIANA, KIWIANA, CROWNLYNN, NZ POTTERY & STUDIO ANNA

Back to top Go down

Re: titian bailer or other

Post  shazz on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:12 am

journeystone wrote:The photos dont do this justice at all, I,m taking the pics with communicator, now if i could just find my cameracable
sorry lovey.. this is'nt my domain ~but Im sure someone will be able to help with this one Very Happy lovley piece tho!! Smile
shazz
Editor - Titian

Female Number of posts : 521
I collect or have an interest in: : Titian & Crown Lynn
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

As with the online piece..

Post  crownlynn on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:45 am

it is a piece of Putararu Pottery....a copy of Titian pieces.
crownlynn
Editor- Molle

Male Number of posts : 55
I collect or have an interest in: : all early forms of New Zealand,Australian & North American Pottery,old bottles,toys,andanything old.
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Back to top Go down

Bailer ashtray/dish

Post  Ross Millar on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:39 am

Iv'e got another coming up in Jim's auction that he thought was Titian but definately out of the same mould as the one you've illustrated - even the little dots underneath the same.
The differences with Jim's one is:
the bowl is decorated with a raised moulded map of NZ [and very helpfully NORTH and SOUTH ]
AND where your one has Night Staff ashtray incised this one has 'Shop' - what do those 'titles' mean???
and there is no EW or other artist's initials

but here's something to add in to the debate. I found the "Shop" mark under a sticker. A Gold foil sticker that says
"Brooke Ceramic Studio, New Lynn, Auckland ph 872-482" - Maybe just a retailer - maybe they took Putararu's production to sell in opposition to Titian in Auckland

Ross Millar

Male Number of posts : 22
I collect or have an interest in: : dec arts
Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

*scrathces head*

Post  shazz on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:41 am

scratch
shazz
Editor - Titian

Female Number of posts : 521
I collect or have an interest in: : Titian & Crown Lynn
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

hmmmm interesting

Post  journeystone on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:30 am

the jury is still out it seems, I am willing to except Mr Lynns explanation regards origin, however night staff and shop, ?? did putaruru pottery have a night staff, they may certainly have had a shop. I have seen an original titian bailer and they differ slightly, but there is more than a little speculation that they could be earlier than titian, has anyone else got any input, I,m interested also in putaruru does anyone have history or product line info ??

Kindest regards to you all

Mihi newbie
journeystone

Back to top Go down

Post  Cam Brown on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:14 pm

Its a Titian mould which has been used by another pottery with slight changes in finish. But the shape itself is one which was originally made by Cameron Brown and had moulds made from it, one of which must have gone to this other pottery.

Cam Brown

Male Number of posts : 2
I collect or have an interest in: : Titian Pottery
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Thank you Mr Brown

Post  journeystone on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:21 pm

Well that clears up a few loose ends, the piece itself I considered was just too well made to be "just a copy", this explanation backs up plenty of other opinions as to origin, I'm happy that it at least has a connection to Titian, the loaning and otherwise transfer of molds to other potteries and potters is not new, Luke Adams made modifications to existing patterns along with many others, this is part and parcel of the developments within our own pottery industry, any piece that can be afforded reasonable provanance, belongs quite fairly within the jigsaw and become's inportant.

Thank you once more Mr brown
Pete
journeystone

Back to top Go down

thank you also Ross

Post  journeystone on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:58 am

thanks for your input Ross, I thought i had acknowledged this earlier, but alas no,

kindest regards

Pete
Mr J
journeystone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum