Could the Real Titian Please Stand Up

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Could the Real Titian Please Stand Up

Post  truk10 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:23 am

Here's an interesting one. Shazz is selling this vase which I'm almost certain is a real Titian Sun vase despite the rather crude look of the handpainted backstamp (it was brought from my brother so I've handled it and everything about it feels right)

http://tiny.cc/o4XTf

On the other hand, there is this vase claiming to be a genuine Titian Sun vase. However, to me it just doesn't look right - the moulding is nowhere near as good, the number of fronds is wrong and the base is quite different.

http://tiny.cc/d2c2C

So, was a different mould produced at some stage, is this the work of the mysterious Australian woman or is there some other explanation ?
truk10
Editor - Keith Murray

Male Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Hiyah turk

Post  shazz on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:34 am

Very Happy lol definatley talking points eh lol I am sure I have seen the one with the lip before.. in a photo somewhere. Im looking through my junk piles to see if I can find it, and when and *if* I do.. I will let you know . Be nice to get to the bottom of something lol
shazz
Editor - Titian

Female Number of posts : 521
I collect or have an interest in: : Titian & Crown Lynn
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Could the Real Titian Please Stand Up

Post  TimCaulton on Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:15 am

If only there was this much love in the studio pottery world Crying or Very sad

Male Number of posts : 1073
I collect or have an interest in: : Len Castle Ceramics
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Moon Vase

Post  savvy7 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:07 pm

truk10 wrote:Here's an interesting one. Shazz is selling this vase which I'm almost certain is a real Titian Sun vase despite the rather crude look of the handpainted backstamp (it was brought from my brother so I've handled it and everything about it feels right)

http://tiny.cc/o4XTf

On the other hand, there is this vase claiming to be a genuine Titian Sun vase. However, to me it just doesn't look right - the moulding is nowhere near as good, the number of fronds is wrong and the base is quite different.

http://tiny.cc/d2c2C

So, was a different mould produced at some stage, is this the work of the mysterious Australian woman or is there some other explanation ?

Hi Truck10,

I can confirm that there were different moulds, you will see this in the gallery, the one on the right was gifted to my mum in law for her Birthday and is stamped 19 82 on the base. the second one on trade me looks identical to one i bought about 5 years ago except mine is a matt crackle glaze and is much bigger than the early moon vase. It is also unmarked and has the same amount of leafs and spout as on your second example. My original thoughts on the one that Shazz is selling was that the signature never looked right but since reading the Q&A comments on TM that have been left by a very knowledgable collector.

Appologies i'm making things worse! lol

Last edited by savvy7 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Unfinished sentance)

savvy7
Editor - Titian

Male Number of posts : 39
I collect or have an interest in: : titian
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

like mindset

Post  journeystone on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:47 am

we are both starting to love studio pottery, even obscure unmarked peices,
love the titian and CL too. its good to sit on the fence lol! .
Mr JS
journeystone

Number of posts : 41
I collect or have an interest in: : SOVEREIGN WARE, CARLTONWARE, MAORIANA, KIWIANA, CROWNLYNN, NZ POTTERY & STUDIO ANNA
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Could the Real Titian Please Stand Up

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum